Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The White Hot Furnace


"Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered King Nebuchadnezzar, "There is no need for us to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If our God, whom we serve, can save us from the white-hot furnace and from your hands, O king, may he save us! But even if he will not, know, O king, that we will not serve your God or whorship the golden statue tht you set up."--Daniel 3:18-20
I love this story, not only because of the faith shown by Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego but because of their refusal to acknowledge any God but their own. For me, as an American, this is a new concept as I have always been taught, from earliest memories that while I may choose to worship my God, it is not acceptable for me to think of my God as the only God. Our laws, while promoting tolerance of other people and their religion, also do us a disservice, I think, because we must then tolerate gods who are not the God. How refreshing it is to hear this story and to hear these three refuse to acknowledge that the king has a different God than they. For them, there is only one God, their God and they are willing to die for this belief. I hope that I may have that type of faith should it ever be tested in a similar manner or even in any manner. Thank you, Lord, for the inspiring story. Help me to be more like these three faithful servants of yours.
My sweet child, thank you for loving me and listening to me. I know of your struggles and even though you may not see the furnace of your testing, know that you are being tested as surely as these servants of old. Trust me in all and do as I ask, and you, too, will emerge unscathed from the white-hot fire. I love you. Go in peace and do not fear. I walk with you on this journey. All is well.

No comments: