Saturday, February 16, 2008

Loving my enemies


"...But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."--Matthew 5:44
What a radical concept it is for us to think of loving our enemies and praying for those who persecute us. It was radical teaching in Jesus time and it is still radical today.
Oh, my lord, how often have I thought to hurt my enemies and those who persecute me, instead of doing your will and praying for them and possibly even loving them.
How impossible it seems to me at times to think of loving those whom I consider to be my enemies. How difficult it is to think of actually wanting you to bless them when I do pray for them.
Such teaching must have flummoxed those who were your enemies, my Lord.
I have, at truly inspired times I now know, done just that and prayed that you might bless those whom I consider enemies. It is an exalted thing when done truly and I pray that I might be so changed as to be able to do it at all times and actually want you to bless them. I know I have asked for you to do "your will" hoping it is code for doing something that will actually teach them a lesson. Forgive me for thinking that and change my, Lord, that I might want you to really bless them.
My child--
You are being changed into someone who really does want me to bless her enemies and to do good to those who persecute you. I am delighted in this aspect of your training. Remember, you are being trained and during this journey, our Lenten journey, I am teaching you lessons that I need you to learn so that your later work for me might be good and true.
I love you and bless you, according to my will. Go in peace.

No comments: