Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Preparations for the journey

This day marks the beginning of my journey with Christ into the desert. A journey that will lead us both to the cross first and then ultimately to the Resurrection.
It's actually a day of preparation for the 40 day time of prayer, penance, fasting and hope.
I have many things I must set aside in order to journey with Christ as unencumbered as possible. 
Yet, there are things that I must also take with me so that the journey leads me nearer to His beloved heart.
So what are the things I must leave behind?
What must I take with me and do? 
As I go through this day, I will record those things the Holy Spirit of God shows me I must either take or "give up" for this Lenten journey. 
1) I find I spend an inordinate amount of time reading blogs. So, I will give that reading up for the journey. I will still read my email and spiritual readings but the other blogs I read each day I readily sacrifice in order to spend time with my Lord. 
2) A thought occurred to me almost immediately when I genuflected upon entering my church for Mass today. I had been reading about the Episcopal church decision to not use gender specific pronouns...such as Father, Son.
The thought was that a small life raft that puts off from the main ship often will flounder due to the heavy swells battering it and that is what happens to these break away religions. They are soon swamped by conditions that the main ship..in this case the barque of Christ...can withstand. 
I don't know when I will be called upon to use that but I wanted to write it down.
So, as I come to the end of the day, I realize I have more to take and not take on this journey.
Help me, my Jesus to know what you will be wanting from me as we head out into the desert wilderness tomorrow.




Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

No comments: