Sunday, February 18, 2018

Letting Go

"The sacrament (of confession) doesn't just empty us of the past; it also fills us with grace for the future." 
The Word Among Us, meditation on readings for today.

Good morning, Lord!
I was surprised at Mass today by the unexpected attendance of someone who isn't Catholic. 
I cannot say I was totally surprised because I have had glimpses of such happenings, but such an occurence has been something I have both feared and dreaded.
Yet, this didn't hurt as I expected. You know why I have feared this even when I should be rejoicing that another soul is in the process of being saved.

In the past when something similar to this happened, I felt you actually "zing" my heart. It felt like a dart had embedded itself in my heart and yet I knew it was a gift from you, in spite of the hurt and pain.

Today, I felt no zing but instead wrapped in your loving embrace and that also was a gift from you.
Two similar experiences; two different reactions with a space of 20 years or so in between.
I know you are asking me to let go of the past experiences I have had, that I may be cleansed in preparation for the graces you have planned for me.

Why does this make me somewhat sad and regretful? 
Because I have cherished those experiences as gifts of love from you. I have feared to lose them but in truth, they are not being manifested in my life anyway.

My precious child,
Do you trust me? Do you know that I want you to be the best version of yourself? Do you know that I will be with you through whatever sufferings you undergo?
If you indeed know these things, then you have no reason to fear or doubt.
I love you beyond all measure. I have good things in store for you. Priceless things...and I am pleased you are ready to empty yourself of the past in order that you might have life to the full. 

Thank you, my Lord. I trust you and know that you are guiding me and leading me ever closer to union with you.
Please grant me the graces I need to help You win this soul. Please help me to be gracious and fully and fittingly hospitable as you allow me to help you seek and save souls.




Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

No comments: