Saturday, February 24, 2018

Loving our Enemies

"Few of us have enemies but we all have those who hurt us in one way or another and we can be refusing our love to these. —Sr. Ruth Burrows, To Believe in Jesus, (Paulist Press); Magnificat, Feb. 2018, p. 357

This has been a lesson I have struggled with for many years, with varying degrees of success.
At one point, I prayed without ceasing for a woman who was causing me much distress. She was arrogant, condescending and dismissive of me, treating me as a person much lower than her. 
I did meet with some success when I finally could not spend my time worrying about her and what she was doing to thwart my success in work and in love. 
I'll never forget it because as I truly  surrendered my difficulties with her to the Lord and sincerely wished her well, I felt in my heart that sudden joy and ecstasy that filled my heart and soul. It was "my peace returning to me." 
The peace I tried to extend to her did not stay with her because she was not a peaceful person. (Paraphrasing Luke 10:6)

It was so sweet, this fruit of my prayers for one with whom I struggled. It was an eye opener to me about the true value of our prayers, how they do manifest around the world. It came back to me and it was wonderful.
If I had not prayed for good things for her, would I have ever experienced this extraordinary joy and love? 

"Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you." (Luke 6:38)

Ah, my Lord. You are so good and so worthy of our love and worship. Thank you!




Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

No comments: