Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Relief and sadness

Today was the last day of our visit with our four granchildren over their spring break.
They are 11, 12, 13 and 14 and while we love them deeply and dearly, they can be a challenge at this age.
It was, quite frankly, a big relief to drop them off at their mother's cabin. My son and the mother of my grandchildren are divorced and that may have some bearing on the situation.
I feel so blessed with my children, who did not give me the kind of sass and attitude my grandchildren seem to toss out with seeming impunity.
I don't understand how they can stand there and lie about something to my face that is so obviously a lie. Do they really think I am such a fool? And when I call them out on it, I get the attitude and whining that I really do not handle well.
I am not the personality type that responds with kind, calm and rational conversations about how lying is wrong and copping an attitude when called out on it doesn't get you bonus points. 
I respond with punishment that "fits the crime," so to speak instead of calmly explaining to them that their action was wrong, lying about it compounds the problem and copping an attitude won't get you a lighter sentence.
Needless to say, there was alot of stress going on while they were here and much relief when we dropped them off.
I don't know if it is because of the divorce or because of the times that my grandchildren are so different from my children and how my children  reacted when confronted with a behavior problem. 
My children showed remorse and sorrow, not defiance. 
At any rate, I realize how much they need God in their lives and He has been neglected. 
I feel guilty for not working harder to insure that my children were properly catechized and that all have fallen away from the Church.
But, I also know that we all must find our way to the Lord and that He uses various means and paths to ever draw us closer to Him or back to Him. 
Lord, I trust You with the salvation of my children and grandchildren. I will continue to pray for them and try to be more loving and understanding of current times and the challenges these children face each day.
Please forgive me for my failures.
Amen.



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

No comments: