Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Judging

Although this picture was taken last year, the ground cover today a year and a month later looks very similar to this photo. This much snow in February is not uncommon but to have it cover the ground in March is a different story.

Just random thoughts as I sit here tonight. I have been reading several books on the saints. I have finished the biography of Mother Angelica and I started another book on St. John of the Cross in preparation for my Third Order Carmelite studies. What strikes me about both is the contentious times both had with the hierarchy of the church.
This strikes me because I have had my run ins with my local parish priest and even spoke with the Bishop about it. He urged me to appreciate the priest I have and left no doubts in my mind that he would support the priest. This is of some concern because of the scandal involving the priests and abuse. If bishops are willing to blindly support the priests, then what of any reform? Although my parish priest is not sexually abusive, he is verbally abusive and has a bad habit of lying to cover his mistakes. This troubles me.
At any rate, my interest in the willingness of religious to stand up to the hierarchy when they thought it necessary intrigues me. I have thought I need to stand up to abusive priests, but then have thought I need to be obedient to the church, i.e my priest. So the issue is somewhat confusing for me.
I am troubled also because this priest has caused several people to go to different parishes. I know that you often have people who do not see eye to eye with a priest and who choose to go to different churches. But this bothers me because the man worked closely with the priest and has now left due to a disagreement between them.
Help me here Lord to know and do your will.

My precious child--
How I wish all my children could get along with one another. It saddens me also that such hurt exists among my children. It saddens me that my priests often are so far away from the ideal I came to teach and to live. Yet it has always been so. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. All are in need of salvation. You hold my priests to a higher standard than you do lay people. But judgment is not your job. It is my job to judge of my priests, who have dedicated their lives to my service. Only I can fairly judge of their actions and what is in their hearts. Your job is to love the people I send into your life and to do as I ask of you. Do not be eager to judge of anyone else, especially my priests and religious. If correction is needed, trust me to do the correcting. Pray for your friends who have left your parish and gone to another. Bless them and your priest and pray for them all. Pray also for the victims of sexual abusive priests. These are the priest who so break my heart and betray my covenant with the people. Your job is to pray. You cannot pray too much.
Trust me, my child. I am God.

No comments: