Sunday, March 12, 2006

Addictions


Well, I have certainly had a difficult time getting anything written down this past week. Until this week, I have always thought my television viewing habits were a bad habit. After this week, I know it is more of an addiction, at least for me. I have given up television for Lent, but I have failed miserably at that sacrifice. It doesn't help that my husband will not give up television, so it is on and once it is on, I do not do well with finding something else to do.
So, before I give him any grief for his addictions, I must do something about my addiction of television viewing. If I watched only the programs I really like and then got up and did something else, it would be one thing. But once I sit myself down and begin watching television, that is pretty much where I stay for the duration.
I know you want me to spend more time with you, my Lord and King. And in wondering where I might find the time, it is very apparent that if I gave up television, I would have much more time for everything. But why do I find it so fascinating? I mean, usually it isn't even good programming that has me hooked. So, once again, I offer it to you. I will make a fresh start on my Lenten sacrifice beginning anew again today. And once I failed in that aspect, I also did not come to share my writings and thoughts with you. So, please forgive me once again for failing to be obedient to your will and for ignoring you.

The effects of the spring storm we had last week have been slow to depart and we've even had more snow on top of the foot we got Wednesday.

I am not sure what happened last week, but one day I felt threatened by someone and I'm not sure if I was just being snotty or if she really did intend to cause me hurt. At any rate, I was reminded that you are there to protect me and will send your angels to guard my comings and goings. If I am to suffer, then I know you will grant me whatever graces I need. And if it was me who was being hurtful, then I ask your forgiveness once again for that as well.

As the meditation of today reminded me, you died that I might be forgiven. I can not be outside of your loving forgiveness and to think otherwise diminished your sacrifice.

My sweet child--
Know that I love you. Trust in me. I will not let you fail. Listen to my voice. You have struggled with the addiction of television for a long time. It is like a chain binding you that you must break away little by little until one day you awaken and the chain no longer binds. I could snap it for you, but I desire effort from you in this matter. I will bless your efforts in saying no to television and yes to me. I need you to see how this all works and if I just release you from the addiction, you will have learned nothing. I need you to give me your life daily and trust that I do love you and will bless your efforts. Do not fear. I will not let this struggle overcome you. I need you to remember that my sacrifice covers all your sins. Do not believe anyone who tells you that because you continue to fall in seeking to overcome your addictions that you are beyond my forgiveness. That is not so.

No comments: