Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Small Stuff

My River Walk
This view is one I see almost daily when I take my dogs for their evening walk. The overall look varies, of course, depending on what season it is, but I seem to end up with quite a few photos of this particular stretch of river.
I meditate and talk with God alot on these excursions and I find it deeply satisfying. The dogs, of course, love it.

The meditation that appealed to me most today is one from "God Calling," a book I read daily. In it, the Lord admonishes the authors--"two prayers" to live for him in the small things. The phrase that struck me most is (paraphrased): "Men are willing to sacrifice in the big things...willing to die for me, but so often do not live for me in the little things."
That is something that I envision so often...me willing to make the "big sacrifice" when called upon..you know, something glorious and deeply moving and really BIG. And then I find myself cursing an inconsiderate driver or yelling at the dogs or my husband. Definitely not living for the Lord in the small things. I really need to work on that.
Lord, help me to live for you in the very small things of life...how I treat those people with whom I come in contact with on a daily basis so that when the time comes to make a big sacrifice for you, I am practiced enough not to fail.

Dear One--
You have grasped a very BIG truth here. If you practice living for me in the small things then you will be able to sacrifice all..even to being able and willing to die for me should the situation arise. Many who would die for me do not have the practiced skill of living for me in the small things and therefore do not succeed when actually called upon to make the big sacrifice. Know that I have heard your prayers and will bless you with the grace to live for me in the small things of your daily life.

No comments: