Monday, October 27, 2008

Kindness as coin

Finding Joy in God's Glory

"Raise us beyond the limits this world imposes, so that we may be free to love as Christ teaches and find our joy in your glory."--from the Alternative opening prayer for today's Mass

A portion of today's first reading from Ephesians tells us to "be kind to each other," and a meditation I have been reading tells me that a marriage counselor often uses this scripture verse to counsel people in troubled marriages. How sad that we must be counseled to treat our spouses with kindness. It should be understood in our marriage vows that treating your spouse with kindness is part of the deal. I guess if that were understood, there would be less need for marriage counselors.

Why do we find it so difficult to love as Christ teaches? Isn't it the most awesome thing you have ever experienced? I guess for many the experience of love--true love--has not been experienced as taught by Christ. Instead we offer some lust filled episodes and wonder that so many marriages fail.

What an awesome prayer, dear Lord, asking that we rise above the limits of false teachings on love to be free to really and truly love as you have taught us. True love is so powerful and yet so seldom done. Lord, help me this day to treat my spouse kindly as you would treat him and to also experience love as you would have me experience it. Thank you for you many blessings and for your forgiveness of my many faults. Help me to continue to strive to become perfect as my heavenly father is perfect.

Precious one--Do not fear for all is well. I am teaching you to love more truly each day. Do not be afraid to be kind and loving. It is like investing in the future, except there will be no "market crashes" to destroy your investments. Each act of kindness and love is like coin deposited in a bank and will be there for you when you need to make a "withdrawal." All is well. Go in peace.

No comments: