Friday, October 31, 2008

Fighting Evil with Prayers and Fasts

Lakeside
"I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus." --Phillippians 1:6

This is a good piece of news for me when I get discouraged about the progress I am making into the secret chambers of our Lord's heart. I sometimes forget that is was He who chose me and that he will complete the work he began in me when he first called me to him.
How I thank you, my Lord and my Friend, that you have called me and given me the grace to follow you, in spite of the times I have wandered away and you had to come and find me. How I thank you that you did come and find me and that you are going to complete the work you began in me. I often wonder how long that will take as I seem some days to take one step forward and two steps backwards.
We are coming down to the homestretch, now Lord, in our country's elections for new political leaders. So many people are now praying for a miracle. Every site I visit has people praying for an outcome not even discussed by all the major news outlets. I am joining my prayers and my fasting with the prayers of many of your people who are seeking a return to a moral country, one that doesn't kill innocent children.
As I have been perusing all these websites that are calling for prayers and novenas and rosaries, I remembered a scene from a novel I read...a science fiction work by Stephen R. Donaldson--the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. It is a trilogy and in the third book (the title escapes me at the present moment), one of the heroes, Lord Mhoram and his fellow Lords of the land are besieged in their Keep as the evil army of Lord Foul has the Keep surrounded. The head of this evil army--a raver--has kept his army at bay while he launches a supernatural attack upon the Keep. It takes Lord Mhoram some time to discover that the tactic behind this move is to undermine the courage and fortitude of the Keep's inhabitants. The evil is visceral and palpable as it inches through the ground towards the base rock of the sturdy Keep, making the inhabitants cringe with fear as it draws nearer. Once Lord Mhoram discovers the true purpose of this tactic he is able to put his strengths into nourishing the inhabitants and the Keep itself to stand against this unholy attack upon the heart and soul of the people of the Land and eventually the raver falls back, impotent against the good of the Land. It is a telling moment in the battle of good versus evil in this trilogy.
The reason it came to my mind is that it seems this is what we are now doing with all our prayers, novenas, rosaries, and fasting as we approach this election. We must stand fast against the evil that will befall our nation if we continue to elect candidates who disdain life from its earliest moments. As we draw nearer to this election date, we must put on the armor of God and do battle against the evil forces seeking to deceive the good people of this land. By our prayers, our novenas, our rosaries and our fasts.....weapons that the MSM scoffs at but which are so much more powerful than they can ever imagine.
Lord, please grant to us a victory at the polls. A miracle if that is what it takes. Let all good Christians come to the polls in our stand against evil. Let them not be deceived by the "news" that the election is all but over. Let them come out anyway, and vote for life. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, your Son and my Lord.
My dear sweet child--
Thank you for your prayers and for loving me as you do. You are precious to me and I love you. The battle is raging even as we speak. Yes, you must hold fast at this time with your prayers. It is my Spirit that has been hounding the people of your country to stand fast and take up the armor of God that the victory may be won. Do not fear. Continue to do all that you can do in this matter--pray, fast and continue your rosary. Do not fear. The outcome is in my hands and I am in control. Trust me in this and do not fear. Go in peace, sweet child. I love you.

No comments: