Saturday, December 09, 2006

Advent Day 7--Giving

Today some friends gave me a painting done a number of years ago by a local artisan. They drove many miles to give the painting to me and asked that I find a home for it. I have no idea if the painting is of high value or not but the artisan is well known locally, mostly for her landscapes. This was a portrait of someone locally, she looked vaguely familiar, but still unknown.
I considered finding a home for the painting at my home but then the Spirit's still small voice was heard and I gave it to the museum, which it turns out has quite a collection by this same artist.
It reminded me of how much the Lord gives to us each day and many times we are so unaware of his generosity. How does this happen that the God of the Universe can give so much to us each day--including his only son--and we are totally unaware of these gifts--often thinking that we are the generous ones?
It turns out that my friends are the generous ones and that I am merely a conduit--a channel whereby their gift can reach others. I guess the same might be said of all I do or think or say. I am merely the conduit for God's generosity and gifts, allowing it to pass through me to the ones to whom it should belong or those to whom the message needs to be heard. I can claim nothing in these matters--not generosity or wisdom or anything else. The Giver is who needs to be thanked and acknowledged, not the mechanism by which the gift was passed along.

No comments: