Saturday, March 08, 2014

The Gift

Recently I experienced a deep hurt when my daughter rejected a gift I had selected for her.
It wasn't a valuable gift by any definition of the world valuable.
But I had chosen it with her and my granddaughter in mind.
So when she disparaged it to my husband in an offhand remark, I was deeply hurt.
She did take it home, but I think she immediately "re - gifted" it to the local thrift store.
I struggled with this hurt for several days.
At the same time, I am preparing myself for a consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
As I was wallowing in the hurt of my daughter's rejection of my gift, I was suddenly struck with the knowledge that I often treat the gifts of Mary just as my daughter had treated my gifts to her.
It was a deeply humbling moment.
Moreover, as I begged forgiveness of Mary, I found that I could easily forgive my daughter.
There are still twinges of pain regarding the hurt I experienced. I find myself reluctant to give any gifts to her again, fearing similar hurt.
Yet, I also love her deeply and want to be able to express my love to her, sometimes with gifts.
I think the next time I want to share something with her that I will ask the assistance of Blessed Mother.  She loves my daughter as she loves me and will be able to help me select a gift that my daughter will like.
She will also help me open myself up to the possibility of hurt and rejection, albeit unintended.
Thank you, Blessed Mother, for all the gifts you have given to me. Please help me to receive them in the same spirit in which you give them. Help me also to recognize them.
Thank you, Lord God, for the gift of Mary.
Today's photo is a gift of some rocks that I found in God's backyard, where I frequently walk and talk to him.

No comments: