Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Ash Wednesday, 2014

It is time once again to begin my Lenten journal.
This is something I have been doing, or attempting to do for years as a Lenten gift to the Lord.
Technology has enabled me to NOT have excuses for failing to get it done.
When I first began my Lenten journal, I was writing it out by hand. I have always wanted to include photos or a photo each day so I would take pictures to go with my musings. As I recall, my first attempts at this were with film and presented challenges that youngsters today cannot even imagine.
So the first thing that changed was digital photography. But I had to download them to my PC and then upload the chosen photos to my blog, etc. I didn't ever get a journal complete, from Ash Wednesday through Easter.
Writing today, I am using my phone to take photos and write the post in an email that I will send directly to my blog.
So, no more excuses!
I hope to present a complete photo journal of my Lenten journey to the Lord and His Blessed Mother this year.
I was able to get out and take a walk today and captured some moments on my camera.
I spent the day in quiet reflection and reading. I hope to make good on my other Lenten sacrifices this year, too. I am giving up television and sweets. I am also going to practice fasting twice a week. So, my journey should contain some tales of struggle and insights into overcoming temptations.
At least, that's the plan. The goal, of course, is getting closer to the heart of Christ.
A meditation today by Fr. Robert Barron says that love is "a concrete act on behalf of those in need--the hungry, the homeless, the lonely, the imprisoned, the forgotten.  It is the bearing of another's burden."
I need to find ways to bear the burden of someone in need. I need to let Christ shine through me.
Jesus, I give this day back to you. I managed to practice self - denial. I probably didn't do as well at it as you think I can, but I hope to get better with more "practice. "
I also need to get over some hurts in my heart that cause me to think ugly thoughts. I beg your forgiveness and mercy, my Lord.
The photo moment of the day is of the mountains to the east of my home. They are snow covered and the river tributary still has ice on it.

No comments: