Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Power of Love, Advent 2010

Rouse your power
And come to save us--Psalm 80:3

"It is Advent. He is coming, and we must be on the watch, learning anew how to use the power at the heart of the universe, the power of love. It is within us, awaiting to be roused." Fr. James Stephen Behrens, O.C.S.O.
Cabin hidden by snow covered trees

Yesterday I felt very strongly the power of love when I was so very disappointed in a friend. She had lied to me about something and I was hurt and angry and wrote an email expressing those feelings. Then the Lord took over and softened the blows I intended to strike against her, advising me to change a word here and there to make it more loving, less judgmental.
It was a very strong feeling. I heard His Voice recommending the changes in the letter, asking me to reflect His Love for her in the email.
I am easily hurt and tend to play the martyr when the occasion suits me and I have no doubt that I was doing the same when I initially wrote out my feelings. But then I asked the Lord for His input, asking him to help guide me in what I actually sent to my friend, making sure that His will was being done.
My friend had tried calling me several times and I let the answering machine take over. This is before she read the email and I think that she felt guilty about the lie before I even addressed it. She was almost desperate to contact me. I sent the email and then later returned her call, leaving a message because she was out.
When she did call back, she had not yet read my email or gotten my message...she was just trying again to establish contact with me. At first I wanted to be snotty towards her for payback to the way she had hurt me. But the Lord took over again and allowed me to be quiet. When my friend asked if I was angry, I told her I had sent an email laying out my thoughts and suggested she read it before we continue our conversation.
So she did and when she called me back she was contrite. Until she read my email she did not know that I knew she lied to me. I was at work when she called back, however, and couldn't talk.
So, we are going to get together today. I again pray for God's love to be in, with and through me as we discuss our friendship.
Bare teepee poles
This friend is a friend in Christ and He is the glue that holds our friendship together. If He is taken out of it, as she tried to do...ignoring Him and choosing the world instead of Him for a function we had planned to attend together, then there is probably no friendship. We have little in common but for Christ who makes us One in His love.

Lord, please guide me in my words and actions this day. Please let Your will be done in, with and through Christ.


Child,
I love you so very much. Rest in my love, ever confident that I will give you the words you need and the words your friend, our beloved friend, needs to hear. Do not hold self-pity or resentment or hurt in your heart. I have healed you. Go forth now to love your way though this day and know that I am with you, guiding and guarding your every step. Let's truly unleash the power of love in your life by loving our friend as truly as I love you.
Thank you Lord.

No comments: