Friday, December 05, 2008

Secret Insights

Ducks on the River Ice
The resident duck population outside my window amazes me as they seem to snuggle upon the ice. They just sit down on the ice or snow and tuck their wings in, looking like they are snuggled down for the night. They are so funny when they come begging for the cracked corn we put out for them daily. They fight and bicker among themselves, running over each other and shoving to get the best or most. It reminds me somewhat of the maddened shoppers on Black Friday who were so anxious to get the bargains offered by a store that they took the hinges off the door and then killed a man by trampling over him after he had fallen down. How very sad.
Today in the Gospel reading for Mass from Matthew 9:29-31, Jesus has healed two blind men after asking them, "Do you believe I can do this?" and they replied yes. So he told them and I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact phrasing that they "will be healed according to their faith." And then he admonishes them to "not tell anyone."
As I was reading this and pondering your words in my heart, Lord, I had a couple of thoughts. First was that I wonder if the blind men would have received their sight if their faith had been less than they led You to believe and that is why you healed them "according to their faith." I guess my thoughts were if you had asked me the same question and I thought you could heal me, but also had some doubts, would that have affected the final result? For example, if I believed you could give me partial sight back but not 20/20 vision, would I only receive partial sight--according to my faith--or would I get the full benefit of your healing and get perfect vision?
And the other thing that came to me while I was pondering the message is that you often admonished the people you healed not to tell anyone about it. But they all did, according to the Gospels.
Knowing human nature as well as you do, did you tell them not to speak of their healing knowing that human nature abhors keeping secrets and usually no one keeps quiet? It would be humorous if you did so, knowing that this testimony would spread like wildfire, much more so than if you told them to go out and spread the good news? Does that make sense to you, my Lord?
Good Evening my sweet one--
You are much blessed and I love you so much. Thank you for making the effort to write daily and to reflect in your writings on the daily Mass readings. Faith has everything to do with the answer to prayers and if you believe in me and in what I can do, why would you limit that with only partial healing? According to your faith, you receive the answers to your prayers. Meditate on your prayer requests and my answers to those to get your answer to that question.
As to the other, you have asked to know me better and to love me better. What better way to "spread the good news" than to tell humans not to speak of it? It works better than asking them to go out and evangelize, wouldn't you say? It is an insight into me and my knowledge of the human heart and mind and soul that I granted you because you asked. I love you and wish to share my life with you. This is an insight that theologians probably wouldn't ever give you. You are precious to me. Enjoy this gift. I love you--go in peace and share my secret with all who read your writings.

No comments: