Monday, April 07, 2014

Joys of Communion

A number of years ago, I thought I knew who was speaking to me in the depths of my heart, only it was not the Lord.
I mean, I knew that God was there and that the reason I could have these terrific "heart to heart" conversations with my friend was because of God living in my heart.
But it took me years to realize that it was actually God with whom I was speaking.
When I thought it was my friend, I was filled with an excitement that is beyond description. It seemed like such a wonderful gift that God had granted to the two of us. You would think that such a gift coming from God would also fill my heart with joy and wonder and it did.
Later, when the friendship between myself and another waned, it seemed to me that the gift of a heart to heart conversation did, too.
Yet, yesterday as I was preparing for Mass, I mentioned to the Lord that in years past, I had been filled with such joy at the thought of sharing Communion in Him with my friend. I used to try to work it out that we would receive Communion together, side by side.
It was something that would have filled me with joy. Yesterday, we did receive Communion side by side. Without any "working it out" on my part.
At the time, I didn't appreciate it because I had become lightheaded and was focused on staying upright. Yet, the Lord arranged such an event for me.
Perhaps as a reminder that such joy is possible again.
Thank you, Lord, for the gift of joy in the past and as a reminder that such joys are possible again.
Let me be ever more focused on You so that I shan't miss the opportunity to find You in my friends and the people of my faith community.
Today's photo is of some deer.

No comments: