Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The Gift of Prayer

"But, for prayer itself, the secret is always to follow the attraction given to us. Oh, my God, how many souls are oftentimes troubled about their prayer, doubting if they pray correctly, and yet to pray as he draws them is all God asks." 
~ St. Jane Frances de Chantal in "A Simple Life." This quote is from a conference talk given to the Sisters of the Visitation.

I have often been distressed because my heart's thoughts during prayer have wandered away from the words of the prayer, focusing instead on something that seems to draw me.
Now, I learn it is God drawing my heart and my prayers to a concern of His that needs prayers. He is truly wonderful and takes care of us, helping us to pray for those concerns he gives us even when we don't know exactly what is troubling.

Another quote this day is:
"Your ability to pray is a treasure greater than all the riches in the world."
~Gary Zimak from "Stop Worrying and Start Living"

So, it appears that even distracted prayer has some value, especially if the prayer is filled with love. Everything depends on love.

Thank you, my Lord, for giving me love and the gift of prayer.



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

No comments: