Thursday, January 04, 2018

Depending on Love

A palm tree graces the sky and reminds me of the land of Christ's birth.
"Everything depends on how we love each other." ~ Mother Theresa,  from Thirsting for God



In pondering this astute observation from Mother Theresa, I find it incredible and awesome while also intimidating.

Think about it:
Everything....there is nothing that is not included in this
Depends.....something that is contingent on 
How we love each other..how we treat one another, how we act towards those among us who are less than lovable, all the people with whom we come into contact with on a regular basis. In St. Mother Theresa's world that would be those "poorest of the poor," to whom she and her Missionaries of Charity ministered to where ever they could be found.

To me, it means primarily my family...spouse, children, grandchildren, in-laws, friends and co-workers. I rarely have to deal with someone who could be considered "unlovable," although there are people with whom I often grow angry.

Still, the words "Everything depends on..." brings to mind how the problems facing our world might be solved....by "loving each other."
Quite a different outlook than that of our elected civic leaders and unfortunately, also by many church leaders. Still, it is an approach advocated by many in Christian ministries and for that I am thankful and also optimistic.
If I can start by loving those whom I find disagreeable or unlovable...then maybe that will inspire those whom I love to love the folks they find unlovable and it just keeps growing and getting better until one day it will be accomplished.

Thank you, my Lord and my God, Holy Trinity, and Blessed Mother for the gift of love you gave us this Christmas. Please help me to begin acting as if "Everything Depends on How we love each other."


No comments: