Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Lesson

Right from the beginning, I felt guilty. I felt guilty about losing the dog in the first place. I felt guilty about not doing what you had asked of me, Lord, earlier in the day. Then, I felt guilty about asking for your help for a dog.
As I was searching through the novena book, I realized just how selfish my prayers were when people throughout the world had so much more serious problems than I did. But my heart was breaking for my son, who has sacrificed so much. I didn't want him to have to sacrifice his dog, too. It was strictly a mother thing and I did ask your mother for help as well. I was reminded at one point during my agonizing of the wedding feast at Cana and how your mother had asked you to help with more wine. A similar situation, I rationalized to myself.
And it was during the recitation of the prayer at one point that I heard you very clearly in my heart:

Last night you saw me as the Good Shepherd going after the one lost sheep. I know how desperate you feel. I feel this desperate many times in searching for lost souls. Please help me find them.

So I altered my prayer with St. Jude to include the soul you were so desperate to save yesterday and I know it worked. I do not know who was saved or where or even if I know them personally. But I know you know and that is enough for me. You are as desperate to save souls as I was to rescue my son's dog and it is for the same reason--love.
You let me feel just a little tiny bit of what you feel for us. And you also showed me that no concern of my heart is too small or insignificant. I can ask your help and that of your angels and saints and even your mother if need be and for love of you and your love of me, they will help.

I am so thankful for your help Lord. Please thank all of them for me. I especially thank St. Jude for prayers answered and do hereby publish my thanks. I will also publish my thanks in the newspaper. And because I had resolved to continue the novena prayer for the nine days--even though the dog has been safely returned--I will now make the lost souls you are so desperate to save the primary focus of my prayers.

Oh, if I would be this diligent in my prayers each day how much could I help you accomplish, Lord. Please grant to me the graces I need to become a prayer force for you. Let me spend as much time praying for the concerns of your heart as I spend praying for my own concerns.

Child--you are mine. Because you are mine, I will give to you the answer to your prayers. It may seem silly to many to pray for a resolution to a problem such as a lost dog. But know that I am the God of the Universe. I do care about every creature in it. Thank you for your help with those lost to me. Thank you for believing me. You struggled with your doubts about the wisdom of praying for the safe return of a dog. But the fact that you considered prayer to be a course of action speaks to the core belief of your heart. Know that I will always answer such sweet requests. I love you. Do not be afraid. All is very well.






No comments: