Monday, October 12, 2009

The Name of Christ




Wood Duck Mingling with Mallards

For the past couple of nights, I have had the strange experience of being awake, yet in a dream-like state where I find myself in a situation that could be terrifying.
In both "dreams" I have been on an airplane when terrorists attempt to take over the flight.
Instead of that happening, however, I stand up and invoke the Name of Jesus Christ, commanding the terrorists to put down their weapons and hostages.
They obey, simply because they must obey any commands issued "in the name of Jesus Christ."
And the plane continues on its journey with the terrorists now bound and awaiting arrest at the landing airport. At all times, I am calm and even joyful..never afraid.
So, the question has become...why do I not use "the name of Jesus Christ" more prayerfully and more powerfully? There is no reason for not using it...it was given to all who claim to be followers.
Jesus told the apostles at the Last Supper that "anything you ask the Father in my name, He will do" and most prayers are offered "in the name of Jesus." Yet for me, this has become rote and not a powerful answer to my problems.
I find I must begin using the name of Jesus more and with specific requests so that I can know the prayer has worked.
It sounds all rather clinical and like I am testing the Lord. I do not mean it to sound thus, it's just that it's such an eye-opener for me, that I have had the power to effect change in circumstances and have not used it effectively. I guess, the test is more a test of me and my faith than it is of the Lord or his promises.
So, today I begin with my prayer requests.
Dear Father, I give you thanks and praise for all the blessings you have bestowed upon me. I know I have failed to do your will and for this I seek your forgiveness and mercy. I may be dreaming but I am so excited to learn I do have power and it is in the power of the name of Jesus Christ that I can effect change in circumstances. So, today I begin. Father, I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, your only Son and my Savior, that charges of trespassing be dropped against the people who were arrested at Notre Dame University in protest of President Obama's stand on abortion. I thank you Father, for this solution to only one of the problems of the world and I hope that as I get better at using this tool you have given to all your children that I may become wiser and wiser in its use. I know, dear Lord, that you would not have us become tempted to abuse this wonderful gift, so I need all the wisdom you can provide as I seek to do your will. I thank you Father, in the name of Jesus, and I am so looking forward to taking this journey with you. Amen.
My sweet one, You are indeed precious to me. I know you long to help me save my world and that you have been seeking some way in which to become effective. I have given this gift to all my children and "in the name of Jesus" is used many times throughout the day and night as my children seek answers to their prayers. For many, as for you up until your 'dreams' the phrase has become rote and just a phrase to end a prayer. They say it without expecting that their prayers will be answered, they say it without having the faith that what they ask for will be given by me. So, yes, I am giving you a new perspective on it, a new lens in which to view your prayer requests. I am somewhat amused by your "testing" and have also given you the knowledge that it is yourself you are testing and not me. My sweet child. Your prayer has been answered. All is well. I am delighted you have begun posting again. We will make a formidable team. Go in peace. I love you.

No comments: