Monday, December 09, 2013

Waiting

The bird house hangs empty during the cold winter months

Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, Dec. 9, 2013

"Into her presence the angel came, and said, Hail, thou who art full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women." ~ Luke 1:28

The time of waiting, once Mary had  made her Fiat! to the Angel Gabriel who had been sent to her to announce God's will, must have been one of joyful anticipation. How we can learn from her and strive to be more kind and more loving towards all with whom we come in contact. The time of Advent for me has become, instead of a joyful waiting time, one of procrastination. There is a huge difference between joyful waiting in anticipation and the procrastination I have let become a bad habit.
I put off doing so many things, including writing, that I then find myself harried and hurried to get done all the things I have obligated myself to and all of the things I need to be doing as part of my answer to Christ's call.

Dear Lord, please forgive me for all the times I have neglected your commands and your call to action and please grant to me the grace to live my life more fully and to become a more active participant in your will. A doer of your will, not a hearer only, as we heard in the recent Gospel reading. I do not wish to be one of those who will gnash their teeth in despair when they realize that they have been hearers only and not doers of your word and will.

Note: The Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is celebrated on Dec. 8, except when that falls on a Sunday. It is then celebrated on the following Monday. This year, it was celebrated on Monday, Dec. 9, 2013.

No comments: